Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Culitvating Talents vs. Playing Nintendo

During the mid nineteenth century many journey from the east of this great continent and searched for new opportunities and bright futures; hope that, for the pioneers, was not to be found in their east side estates.  Those traveling to the new territory of Oregon, towards California to explore their luck at riches and the Latter-day Saints searching religious freedom in the Salt Lake valley experienced indescribable hardships.  The harshness of the Nature seemed to show its great glory and power during the crossing of the plains; dehydration, fevers, wind and sun burn, frostbite being some of the affects that the pioneers experienced.   On Sunday we discussed some of the hardships that the Willie and Martin handcart companies experienced.  Being caught in a early winter, these Saints suffered death, sickness and what seemed to be the powers of hell against them.  They pressed on and never lost the hope that their God would deliver them from their current suffering.  The Saints, led by the prophet Brigham Young's council, loaded wagons and teams and rode to rescue their brothers and sisters who were loosing their lives on the snow barren plains.  Rescue came and hundreds of lives were saved.  Comfort and love would be the best way to describe how I felt, as I listened to the incredible recount of faith.  I retired home after church and kept thinking of those that crossed the plains.  Pulling out my sketch book and a piece of charcoal, lines began to appear in the shape of a handcart that was pulled by a woman.  The sky was black with hatred, allowing only a sliver of light to appear at the horizon.  The winds howled and every step took strength they didn't have. Courage defined them, hope led their forward footsteps and faith in Christ was their drive.  Taking a break, I played Nintendo and to my amazement that wonderful feeling of gratitude that graced my heart slowly faded away.  The ticks on the clock melted away and before long I had spent too much time playing the game "Lemmings;" a sweet game which I thought was the perfect Sunday afternoon activity.  The instant I picked up my charcoal, peace seemed to again fill my heart.  What an interesting experience I was able to observe that Sunday afternoon.  Nintendo isn't wrong and wholesome games are a great to have fun; however, I wasn't progressing towards anything in my life.  My thoughts seemed to be tunneled and could not escape the game; my thoughts were solely focused on the task at hand.  Check this out though:  When I drew I was just drawing right?  With this thought I am amazed.  My intentions of drawing were to express my feelings that I felt that day in church and as I drew I began to think of those in my life.  I began to not only draw to express my feelings, but as I drew I wondered who's day this little drawing could brighten.  I felt that through developing my talent that the action of expanding and broadening my mind allowed myself or God to turn what I was doing to service.  The process of cultivating a talent is not to bring more glory unto ourselves but to bless the lives of others; something unattainable when playing Nintendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment